Friday, March 12, 2010

A letter to future students

Dear future 110 students,

If you're reading this, chances are you're just starting your first English course. You may be wondering what lies ahead in this course. I'm not going to give away all the specifics, but I will tell you that it's nothing you can't handle. The work is very manageable, and the blogs are a nice change from writing essays. There will be one large paper, however you literally have half of the course to write and revise it. The only advice I would give you to succeed in the course is this: read and write. It's as simple as that. All of the powerpoints Karen has are very informative and helpful. If there is anything you don't know how to do, chances are it's explained in them. As for writing, start early and stay on top of it. I found myself often pressured to write because of how long I put off the assignments. Simply start writing early and you won't have this problem. Now I'm not saying you have to finish your essay two weeks early. Simply sit down once every day or two and write for a little bit, even if it's just a paragraph. You'll be thanking yourself later for it, trust me. Overall, though, this class is fairly equivalent to high school. If you put in the time you will receive a good grade. I wish you the best of luck in this course.

Sincerely,
A successful English student

No comments:

Post a Comment