Friday, February 19, 2010

If Technology Was On Facebook, We Would Be "It's Complicated"

If I had to compare technology to one thing in this world, it would be the box of chocolates I recieved for Valentines Day. At first I was elated; it was like Christmas morning and I couldn't wait to dig in! I quickly threw the handy road map of the box that was included into the trash. After all, who doesn't like to test their luck in choosing a piece? But as I began to dig into the box, carefully selecting each piece to try, I was greeted with a mix of delight in horror. Some pieces were filled with delicious cremes and fruits, while others with the less appealing coconut and caramel so chewy I think I lost a tooth. There was even one that was filled with something so strange, I can only assume it was a cruel joke by a factory worker. In the same way, I believe technology is like a box of chocolates. There are some things I could absolutely not live without. The first things that come to my mind would be my computer, my iPod, my cell phone (no, nothing super high-tech like an iPhone, just a phone), and all of my recording equipment. If you're wondering what I mean when I say recording equipment this includes: my interface, used to plug instruments into my computer; Logic Studio 9, one of the best music programs on the market; my mixer; and of course my midi keyboard, used for synth sounds as well as beats. All of these, to me, enhance my life without totally taking it over. Then we get to what I refer to as the bad chocolates. While the internet can be a very helpful place, there are also many negative sides to it. I've included this handy graphic I made to illustrate my point.



Not everyone you meet or everything you see on the internet is totally trustworthy. There are people out there that will deceive you. Whether it be someone setting you up on a date, or a fact on wikipedia, you should always be weary. But even beyond the internet, I believe we are relying too much on technology as of late. Most people wouldn't even be able to do the simplest of math without a calculator. Others would be completely lost without their GPS or phone book. I worry that someday we will totally rely on technology to get through our day, and I'm not sure how people will get by if we ever lose it. So even though I love having my coffee ready when I wake up, I take pride in knowing I'll still be able to make it the day my machine goes on the fritz.

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy reading your blog posts. You have a very lively and entertaining writing style, and this entry is no exception.

    Your closing thoughts remind me of a short story by Asimov that I almost assigned. It's about a group of scientists who become so dependent on calculators that they can't do math by themselves. Suddenly, they're in a situation where they lose all technology. Fortunately, one guy whips out an abacus and saves the day. It's rather amusing, and I think shows how we'd react to losing our advanced technology . . . by turning to another older form of it.

    ReplyDelete