Fred R. Bernard once said, "One Picture is Worth Ten Thousand Words," but could the same be said for an Ipod? With this in mind, I decided to turn on my iPod and discover what I could about myself. The first thing that caught my attention were the variety of playlists I made that wouldn't make sense to the average person. Two in particular that caught my eye were titled: "Run it!" and "What's good Empire State?!." It might be pretty apparent that the "Run it!" playlist is what I listen to on my daily runs. However, it might not be as obvious that "What's good Empire State?!" was made for a snowboarding trip to New York earlier this month. After cycling through my playlists it became pretty apparent that I wasn't going to be able to sort through the 7,000+ plus songs and analyze all of the artists I passed. Instead, I did the next best thing and threw shuffle on to do it for me. The first five artist that came up were: John Mayer, Brighten, Patrick Watson, MGMT, and Jay-Z. I think that John Mayer and MGMT show that I have a pretty mellow side, which I enjoy listening to when I'm relaxing or studying. On the other hand, Brighten and Jay-Z show that I'm also very social and outgoing. Chances are you've also heard Jay-Z one too many times if you've ever been to a party at Ohio State. Patrick Watson is the one random artist that really threw me for a loop, though. I've only listened to his song once, but it was the weekly download at Starbucks. If you're like me and you drink way too much coffee on a daily basis, pick up the weekly song. Who knows, you may just find something new you like! The next thing worth noting on my iPod, was the Nike+ chip connected to it. For those of you who don't know what it is, it connects to your shoe and shows you all types information like run time, splits, miles, and calories burned. The 500 and some random miles logged also show that I'm fairly athletic. And at this point in my summary my iPod decided to die, so I decided my self-analysis was complete.
Looking back at the paragraph I just wrote, nothing really stands out at me. I like to work out and snowboard, go to the occasional party, or sometimes enjoy a cup of coffee with some mellow indie music. In other words, the typical, generic information anyone could uncover about someone after spending 30 seconds on their Facebook. You can only find the slightest hint about someone's personality, or what they enjoy doing in their spare time. In other words, looking through someone's iPod may be a good place to start, but there's no substitute for spending time with someone if you really want to see their true personality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jimmy, I thought that your blog was very insightful and earnest. First of all I thought it was very well written and was interesting. You were very creative and clever with the given topic. I was intrigued throughout your blog and felt myself compelled to continuing reading. I especially enjoyed the bit on Starbucks. Although this is just a short blog entry, I feel that I have learned a little bit about you that is true and non-judgemental.
ReplyDeleteI found your blog very interesting for a couple of reasons. One is that i felt like i know more about you after reading this blog than i thought possible. I liked how you were able to show that you were a runner just based on your playlist and the nike chip. Another thing that i found interesting was that you didn't even know all the songs on your ipod well which shows that you are open minded.
ReplyDeleteI also thought your blog was interesting.. I thought it was really creative that you just turned on your iPod and picked a few songs that way to describe yourself. It was also cool that you were about to put something in your blog that could connect to most people whether through your songs or through Starbucks. Oh, and I definetly agree with you at the end when you said the iPod could only tell us generic information and nothing really in depth.
ReplyDeleteYour blog was fun to read, it was good at pinpointing what your Ipod is all about! Love MGMT. I would guess you snowboard or something since you listen to them lol. They're pretty popular where I'm from!
ReplyDeleteI found this entry fascinating. I had never heard about Nike+ chips before, but they sound like an amazing tool to keep track of your workouts. I had heard of certain marathons that used chips in runners' shoes to track where they were on the course, but it sounds like the technology has gotten even more advanced.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to this too because I enjoy listening to music when I work out, but I haven't tried the Nike + yet. I really like John Mayer too. Your blog was fun to read.
ReplyDelete